If you are new to the PS4, or if you’ve never done it before, taking a screenshot on your PS4 and sharing it on social media can seem like an intimidating task. You want to share something cool with your friends but you don’t know how it works or where to start.
Taking screenshots and sharing them on social media is a great way to capture exciting moments to share with friends. As you’ll find out from this simple guide, the process couldn’t be simpler to carry out.
In this guide, I’ll show you step by step how to take a screenshot on your PS4 and share it to your social media profiles. We’ll also look at other tasks related to this like editing and deleting your saved screenshots as well as transferring them to a PC.
How To Take A Screenshot On Your PS4?
To take a screenshot on your PS4:
- Turn on your console and open a game to a point where you want to take a screenshot. (It doesn’t have to be anything fancy for now, we’re just trying things out).
- Next, press the Share Button on your PlayStation 4 controller.
- This will open the Share Dialog Menu. From here, press the Triangle Button to save your screenshot. Your screenshot will be successfully saved to your library.
- If you want to share your screenshot on social media, press the share button again.
- Next, select Screenshot.
- Once you have done this, you will be asked to select a social media network to share your screenshot on. Note: You will need to sign in to your Twitter/Facebook account if this is your first time sharing a screenshot.
- Next, you will be brought to a screen where you can share a message with your screenshot. Fill in a message and then select the Upload button.
Congratulations, you’ve now successfully taken and shared a screenshot on your PS4 to social media!
Bonus Tip: You can take screenshots even quicker by turning on the Faster Screenshots feature. How-To Geek wrote a helpful step by step guide on how to do this which you can check out here: How To Take Faster Screenshots on the PlayStation 4
Now that you know how to capture screenshots of gameplay and share them on social media, it’s time to think about just what exactly to share.
It’s completely up to you what sort of screenshots to share but here are some ideas for your inspiration:
- When you’ve made it to the highest point of the map in a game and want to share the spectacular view with your friends.
- If you have found a secret Easter egg hidden within the game and need to let people know.
- If you have just achieved a new high score or excellent kill streak, snap a screenshot of the leaderboard and share that to make your friends jealous.
Note: Be sure to avoid story spoilers where possible or you’ll face the wrath of your friends!
How To View Your Saved Screenshots With The PS4 Capture Gallery?
All of the screenshots that you capture during gameplay will be stored on your console and can be accessed via the Capture Gallery app on your PS4.
To access your screenshots:
- Exit the game you are playing and navigate to the Capture Gallery App.
- Each of your screenshots will be divided by game, and then audio/video.
- You can edit or delete these screenshots as necessary.
- You can also copy these files over onto your computer. This is useful if you want to keep a backup or maybe you want to edit the screenshot in Photoshop. We’ll look at just how to do this in the next section.
How To Transfer Your PS4 Screenshots To A USB?
Now that you have a great collection of screenshots, you might be thinking to yourself: “I really don’t want to lose these, how do I back them up?”. The simple answer is to copy your media from your PS4 console onto a USB which you can then transfer to your PC or laptop.
To transfer your PS4 screenshots to a USB:
- First of all, you will need a USB drive with enough space to store all of your screenshots and/or video clips. This will need to be blank so make sure you don’t have any important files stored on it.
- Pop your USB drive into the PS4 and turn on your console if it’s not already on.
- Open up the Capture Gallery App.
- From here you will see each game you play is designated its own folder so you can find what you are looking for.
- Navigate to the folder you want to copy to your USB (or just stay here if you want to copy everything over to your USB).
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- This will open a dialog menu, select Copy To USB Storage Device.
- Next, select the screenshots or video clips to copy over. You can choose Select All to copy over everything shown on screen.
- Once you are happy with your selection, press the Copy button.
- A message will then display showing you where on your USB stick your files will be copied to. Select OK.
- This will start the transfer process and your PS4 will tell you when the files have been successfully copied to your USB stick.
- Once you have all of your files on your USB stick you can pop it into your PC or laptop and access the files as you like.
How To Delete Screenshots On Your PS4?
As you start capturing screenshots of your gameplay, you’ll likely find some don’t work out. You might have pressed the capture button at the incorrect moment and find that the screenshot is blurry or it didn’t capture the moment you wanted.
If that is the case then you’ll likely want to delete these unwanted screenshots to free up some space on your console’s hard drive.
To delete screenshots on your PS4:
- Open up the Capture Gallery App.
- Navigate to the folder containing the screenshot(s) to be deleted.
- Select the screenshot(s) to be deleted and select the Delete button to wipe them from your console. (Do this with caution and make sure you’re selecting the right images to delete)
How To Turn Off Auto Screenshots On Your PS4?
One interesting feature of the PS4 is that it automatically captures a screenshot of the moment you receive a trophy in your game. This can be a useful feature to have as it captures the exact moment you receive a platinum trophy for example.
However, these images don’t always turn out great and in my experience can often just end up being blurry or even a blank screen, which isn’t great. This isn’t always the case, but it might just be a feature that you don’t care about.
With that in mind, it’s possible to turn this auto screenshot feature off so you don’t have to worry about these bad screenshots building up and taking up valuable storage space on your console.
To turn off auto screenshots on your PS4:
- With your console turned on, press the Share button on your PS4 controller.
- This will bring up the share dialog menu, from here select Share Settings.
- From the Share Settings menu, select the Screenshot Settings option.
- From the Screenshot Settings menu, look for the option “Take Automatically When You Earn Trophy“. Make sure it is NOT SELECTED.
- To turn this back on at any point, simply return to here and check the checkbox.
Gaming today is such a social experience given the number of multiplayer games and social sharing options available within games.
Being able to share your proudest achievements in a game with friends is a great experience and as we’ve seen from the steps above, it’s pretty easy to do.
If you’ve made it to this point in the article you now know how to:
- Take an excellent screenshot on your PS4
- Share that screenshot on social media for your friends to see
- You’ve learned how to view, edit and delete your screenshots with ease
- You’ve also learned how to transfer your screenshots to a USB to back them up
I hope you found this article informative and easy to follow. If you enjoyed this article and found it useful, then you should read these great articles: